1. Rice- 1 cup
2. Moong Dal- 3/4 cup
3. Grated Dry coconut- 1/4 cup Or fresh coconut, cut into tiny pieces
4. Whole black pepper- 10 to 15
5. Jeera- 1 Tsp
6. Curry Leaves- 1 sprig
7. Green Chilies- 2 slit (optional)
8. Ginger- 1/2 inch piece, chopped fine
9. Cashews- a few pieces
10. Ghee- 1/4 cup
11. Hing- a pinch
12. Salt- to taste
13. Unsalted Butter, softened- 2 Tbsp(Optional)
14. Turmeric Powder- 1/8 Tsp(Optional)
1. Wash the rice well and keep aside.
2. Make a coarse powder of the Jeera and black pepper.
3. In a pressure cooker, heat the ghee. Fry the cashews till golden brown and keep them ready.
4. To the hot ghee, add the Jeera- pepper powder, hing, ginger, curry leaves and chilies. Saute for a few seconds and add the moong dal. Saute the moong dal till it turns golden brown.
5. Add the rice and 4 cups of water. Add the dry coconut and the turmeric powder.
6. Cover the cooker and cook the mixture for 2 whistles.
7. If the Pongal turns out to be dry, add a little more water and cook uncovered for a few more minutes.
8. After the rice- dal mixture is cooked, add the salt and mix well. Add the cashews. Mix in the butter at the end. Butter gives the pongal a creamy texture and a wonderful taste.
Serve hot with some coconut-Jaggery mixture or Gojju or Coconut chutney.