- Fresh Curry Leaves- about 1 cup
- Urad Dal- 1 Tbsp
- Black pepper- 1 Tsp
- Dry coconut( Grated)- 1/2 cup
- Dry mango powder- 1 Tsp( Optional)
- Jaggery- a small piece( Optional)
- Salt- To taste
- Oil/ Ghee- 4 Tbsp
- Jeera- 1 Tsp for tempering ( I used mustard seeds)
- Asafoetida- A pinch
- Cooked Rice- 2 cups
Wash and dry the Curry leaves on a paper towel. Roast the Urad Dal and black pepper with a few drops of ghee, till the dal turns slightly brown. Add the curry leaves and roast till they are crisp, taking care that they don’t burn. Turn off the heat and add the Dry Coconut. Saute well and cool the mixture. Powder this mixture with the Dry mango powder, Jaggery and salt.
In a wide kadhai, take about 4 Tbsp of oil/ghee. Heat well and add the jeera. When the jeera turns color, add the asafoetida and a few more curry leaves. Add the rice and the Curry leaf powder and mix well. Karibevusoppu chitranna is ready to serve.