Another Soup recipe for those cold winter days. This is a modified Vicky Ratnani recipe. I wanted to get the pure flavors of the lemon grass and kaffir lime, so decided not to use any vegetable stock or onions in the recipe. I also added some Pomegranate Red wine vinegar, but that is just optional. It did give a nice flavor though.
- Beets- 4 small, peeled and diced into 1/2 inch cubes
- Carrots- 2 small, peeled and sliced
- Light coconut milk- 1/2 tin
- Ginger- 1 inch piece, peeled and grated
- Lemon grass- I used the preserved kind, 1/2 Tsp
- Kafir lime leaves- Also the preserved kind from Wholefoods, 1/2 Tsp
- Green chilies- 1
- Salt to taste
- Extra virgin olive oil
Saute the diced Beets and Carrots in olive oil for a few minutes. Add the Ginger, Lemon grass, green chili, kafir lime and add about 4 cups of water. Cook till the beets and carrots are soft. Puree the mixture in a blender and bring it back to the stove. I did not have to strain the mixture, because I felt the texture was nice. Add the coconut milk and salt. Bring to a boil and serve hot with some crusty bread.