This is a simple dish to make when you need to make something fast and you have loads of Cucumbers in the refrigerator. Its a Konkani recipe and the cucumbers give a very unique flavor to the idlis.
- 2 Cups Idli Rava( Parboiled)- I use the Vijay Idli Rava from Bangalore, I try to get a couple of bags while coming from India. Makes some of the best idlis in the world. Here in the US, the Swad Idli Rava works well.
- 1 Large cucumber or 4 small Persian cucumbers- Grated, peel and all
- Fresh coconut- about 1/4 cup, grated
- Salt to taste
- Oil for greasing the idli maker- Preferably coconut oil
- Sour yogurt- 1/2 cup( optional)
- Water as needed for the batter
- Eno fruit salt( Optional)
Wash the idli rava in cold water and drain all the water. Mix the grated cucumber, coconut, salt and yogurt. Mix well to make a batter that is slightly thicker than regular idli batter. The batter should not be runny or it will be difficult to set. Some people squeeze out the water from the cucumbers before adding to the rava, but I think the water tasted nice and did not do that. If using Eno, add now and stir gently. Grease the idli maker with oil and steam the idlis till they set, ie for about 15 minutes.
Serve with more coconut oil, some chutney or sambhar.