While in Bangalore, I get a lot of good recipes from Television shows.As I don’t get to cook in the kitchen, I can’t get a chance to take pictures of recipes made.
This recipe is for an absolutely delicious, traditional sweet dish from the North Karnataka region, called – Godhi huggi.
- Broke wheat( godhi nucchu)-soaked in water for about 2 hours- 1 cup
- Grated Dry coconut- 1/4 cup
- Poppy seeds( Gasagase)- 1 TBSP
- Jaggery powder- 3/4 cup
- Cardamom powder- 1/8 Tsp
- Nutmeg powder- 1/8 Tsp
- About 1/2 cup almonds, cashews and another TBSP poppy seeds soaked in cream for an hour
- A few cashews and dry raisin- to be fried in ghee
- Ghee- 1/2 cup
Cook the soaked broken wheat in the pressure cooker till soft.
Dry roast the dry coconut till golden and keep aside. Similarly, dry roast the poppy seeds and keep aside
Add some ghee in a thick pan and fry the cashews and grapes and set aside. Add the cooked wheat an sauté for a couple minutes.
Grind the soaked almonds, cashews and poppy seeds to a fine paste. Add to the cooked wheat
Add the jaggery to the mixture.
Add the cardamom and nutmeg, fried cashews and grapes.
Add the roasted coconut and roasted poppy seeds.
Put some ghee on top.